Skip to main content

Port William

When I was a child, I enjoyed imaginary cartography and would invent countries, designing maps with political, topographic, economic, and social themes.

With the temperament of an Aries, I never doggedly plugged away at one invented place (as C.S. Lewis did) nor did my imagined landscapes ever become accompanied with a story, as I was a typical factual male, but I remember, even yet, the joy of systematic invention, creating a cohering whole.

I was reminded by this on discovering (and correcting an oversight) that the American author, Wendell Berry, (in 2013) published a further twenty stories of the Port William membership (that I immediately ordered).

I first encountered Berry at the first Temenos conference at Dartington Hall, encountered literally, for having bought a book of his essays the day before, I found him, and his wife, Tanya, across from me at the breakfast table! I wish I had known what to say then, as it haunts me as a lost opportunity, but merely managed courteous pleasantries. I do remember feeling he was like a tree - gracious, tall, and rooted.

I did not know then what I now know that with that book of essays, I was being ushered into a mental landscape that was both utterly rooted in a place and totally universal in scope.

The place was Kentucky, actual as Berry is a farmer, imagined, as Berry is one of the most gifted living writers, who has made of his place a lodestone of contemporary ills, of communal responses and potential, graced futures.

His is prolific - essays, novels, short stories, poems (and plants and animals on the farm) - but it is his fiction that I realize I most love as it explores a particular place - Port William - its society and geography - in a celebration of the possibilities of community and in a lament for what the disruptions of ill-considered modernity have made of it.

The prospect of a further twenty stories is an unalloyed joy.

What I consider most powerful in Berry is his ability to make of the fabric of normal life a heightened witness to its potential for meaning. This is where we find it, in the ordinary unfolding of a life lived well or badly.

He taught me how to recognize that one's parents never step out of the fear of parenthood, and the care of it. He has shown me the contours of grief borne and lived and honored. He has demonstrated for the grace of dying as oneself, full in one's integrity, without trying to artificially postpone it in medical processes extended beyond their legitimacy. He has shown what love and care might mean for oneself, for others and for the land one lives within.

There is a moment in his novel, 'The Memory of Old Jack' that I think of as one of the most perfect in all literature. Jack has a hired hand and they fall to conflict and in their wrestling comes a moment of decisive recognition of what is required of Jack as a farmer, as a custodian of a place, and why neither he nor his protagonist yet measures up and why they must part company for Jack knows this deficiency and hears it as a call, a vocation, and his hand neither does nor possibly ever will. It is not something that can be 'explained' but requires a certain kind of dedicated attention, and love, to see and is endlessly difficult to enact. It is beautiful.

I remember once mentioning my love of his work and my American interlocutor interceded with the thought that he was 'a conservative' (obviously a 'bad thing') and I responded that I thought of him as 'conserving', of sifting everything against the measure of the health of a community (human and ecological) and if this was 'conservative' then I must be too (though it leads one in counter-intuitive directions including coruscating accountings against racism and war).

In short, like many complex and gifted writers and thinkers, he eludes our comfortable categorizations for the truth that always slips beyond them.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev