Skip to main content

Living Time










Maurice Nicoll was an early colleague of Jung's, a life long friend of Ouspensky's and one time pupil of Gurdjieff's at Fontainebleau. Professionally he was a distinguished neurologist and psychologist who towards the end of his life took typewriter ribbon to paper and produced a remarkable series of books of which Living Time is an exemplary example.


The style of writing is paradoxically both dry, measured, restrained and completely captivating not least because of the lucidity with which it deals with, and illustrates, a complex subject matter, resistant, as St Augustine knew, to being talked about namely time (and eternity).


He is essentially an empirical neo-Platonist by which I mean his highly developed understanding of a Platonic understanding of a hierarchical universe defined through levels of consciousness is coupled with a desire to ground this in explicit (and contemporary) explorations of consciousness.


So, for example, Ramsey's (and William James') famous experiments with ether are allowed to prompt an entry point into the less familiar understandings of Plato and the Hermetica.


Most interesting to me, on this reading, was the emphasis on both how genuine transformation can only come from 'ideas from above' and how recognizing the 'above' as an actual dimension is the first step to receiving such ideas, is indeed one of those ideas. 


We cannot reason ourselves into changing using the evidence of our senses because, as Plato knew, this is merely speculative. The senses give us a world modeled to our senses and, thus, is naturally limited by them. The material reason has to work on and shape is only a fragment of the whole, though an especially alluring one. We can rearrange the deck chairs, through reason, into a more acceptable configuration but we are still on the Titanic!


Nicoll stresses the importance of 'cosmology' in which an understanding of 'time' and 'eternity' is critical because if we are to be lured into transformation, we need to live in a 'world' where transformation is genuinely possible,

This captured for me my uneasiness with 'spirituality' as seen as an internalized, private set of happenings freed of 'religion' - a binding account of how things are (even if imperfectly understood) - because as Nicoll remarks about Jung, this can become a mere shuffling of the pack of our emotional life towards modest re-balancing and if our time horizon is only 'this life', seen as a limiting period of passing time, we may think that there is no time (and no point) to attempt the significant work of change implied by the high inheritance that Plato suggests, and Christianity extends, of being made in the image and likeness of God and being able to fully live in God's time, that is eternity.

I recall one afternoon's meditation session when this became glimmering apparent. I was kneeling on my stool, the September sun on my face, peacefully alert, when I realized that 'I' was not dead. This (from a passing time point of view) was obvious - I was breathing, I was hungry - but what I resonated with was a deep, freed sense that 'I' could not die, that everything that mattered about 'I' was, is, and always will be alive. 'I' was an inhabitant in the mind of God and thus free of death. This was momentary, though how long does a moment last, but I notice freeing. This 'idea from above' that came to me loosened (though certainly not entirely or completely) the grip of my growing, middle aged, periodic 'death panic' - either 'what next?' or 'nothing next?'. There is no next for 'I' because this 'I' is eternally present.

How that might be understood more deeply is the quest of Nicoll's book. It is an adventure in ideas beyond the scope of the ordinary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev