Skip to main content

A mentor

It was a long cycle ride for tea at the Limes across the Oxfordshire countryside more than twenty years ago.

I was the 'programme co-ordinator' at The Abbey: an experiment in therapeutic living and Christian life that was flawed by two gifted founders with unacknowledged differences of vision (and practice). I was going to visit Michael, one of the Abbey's trustees, to explore future life options. I had an idea for a 'vocation network' that I wanted to try out on him (that probably required the new social media, then not thought of, to be realized in practice)! We had tea in that unique house, part aged, part creation of Jenny, Michael's energetic, creative and eccentric wife, now sadly dead and we became friends.

Michael helped find me my first real job in the charitable sector with a trust of which he was trustee (and with which I remain connected).

He is now nearly ninety-one, and frail. He complains that his mind no longer performs, and it does spend more time reaching after that precision with words that is a hallmark (and sometimes gives up) but both his interest in you and his questions remain alert and real.

I went to see him this evening and it both gladdens as meeting with him always does and saddens for it is a meeting that speaks of ageing, and the cost of ageing.

I deeply love his 'revelations' - a discovery of a new world most notably granted to him through music. I remember him returning from an intense weekend of listening to Oliver Messiaen music and he had been transported - both in his appreciation and within the dimensions of grace that Messiaen sought.

He is open to such gifts, carrying a discovering, inquisitive wonder with him that remains, if subdued by the inconveniences of age, still real (as this evening's conversation continued to illustrate). He confessed once that, unlike the presumed common pattern, he became more, not less, radical with age.

You cannot leave such encounters without a sense of the sadness of passing time, of the inrush of memory, and yet too with hope of the continuance of a graced, befriended existence that lives vividly still.

I found myself recalling a vivid conversation on Tarkovsky. Susan Fleetwood, who had acted so consummately well in Tarkovsky's last film, The Sacrifice, had been the long term partner of Michael's son, and he shared her stories of acting under the demanding gaze of this genius and I of my encounter with the said genius in London.

We both recognized in him that extraordinary quality of embodied stillness of allowing an image to be itself and speak reality (not to stand as a symbol pointing beyond itself but to 'be' and be translucent to transcendence). I remember him being asked why rain figured so prominently in his films, what did it symbolize? 'No symbolism,' he replied, 'just rain'! What does it require of us to experience 'just rain' in all its naked suchness? It made Tarkovsky the most musical of directors where the image is the struck notes in combination, utterly themselves in composition, rather than standing in for something else, understood on their own terms. I arrived at Tarkovsky by painting, Michael by music and we illuminated each other's understanding beautifully.

One of many conversations - from the mystical to the practical demands of a charity's organization - that I trust will continue long, even with the accompanying challenges of an ageing frame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buddha meets Christ in embrace

Reading Lama Anagarika Govinda is proving nostalgic on a number of fronts. I recall my first reading of it in my first year at university, bought at Watkins, the famous 'esoteric' bookshop in Cecil Court in London. I sat in my hall of residence room transfixed by a world made familiar; and, it was deepening of a commitment to contemplation (which has been observed fitfully)! I remember returning, at the time, to my school to give a talk to the combined fifth form on Buddhism and using Govinda as the backbone of my delivery (both this book, and his equally wonderful, the Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism). I was voted (I immodestly remember) their best invited speaker of the year. I had even bought a recording of Tibetan music as opener and closer! He reminded me of how important Buddhism was (and is) to my own thinking and comprehension of my experience. The Buddha's First Sermon in the Deer Park was the first religious text I read (of my own volition) at the tender age

Searching for paradise in the hidden Himalayas

At moments of dislocation and intense social uncertainty people will appear offering the possibility of another land where people will be blessed, liberated and genuinely at home. In this case, it was not 'Brexit' but a hidden land of actual immortality, enfolded within the mountain ranges around Mt Kanchenjunga on the Nepalese/Sikkim border. Unlike Shangri-la, Beyul Demoshong was not simply a physical space, carefully hidden (as imagined in Hilton's Lost Horizon) but an occulted place spiritually hidden. The person offering this journey and opening the way to it was the 'crazy lama', Tulshuk Lingpa. Lingpa was a 'terton' a finder of 'terma' which were texts magically hidden until discovered at the right moment for them to be of maximum usefulness to people's spiritual development. They were often hidden by Padmasambhava, the robust wonder-working bringer of Buddhism to Tibet; and, Tibetan Buddhism is alive with such discoveries (though und

Parzival and the neutral angels

Fresh from contemplating 'Lost Christianity', I read Lindsay Clarke's fabulous re-telling of Wolfram von Eschenbach's poem, 'Parzival and the Stone from Heaven' from which 'Christendom' is lost! Von Eschenbach was a sacred poet but one of ecumenical sympathies where not only is Parzival's final battle (unknowingly) with his brother, the piebald Saracen, Feirefiz, essential to his self-discovery but the two of them enter the Grail castle together and are granted together a vision of the 'stone' that is the Grail. When Feirefiz asks whether it is permitted to see this Christian  mystery, Parzival answers (in Clarke's version) yes for, "all Nature's increase is there, so I think that this stone from Heaven must be a living emblem of the earth itself, which is mother and father to us all." There are knights, ladies, sorcerers, hermits and wise old hags abounding in Eschenbach's world but interestingly for a mediev